Kaegan and Kiyah

Kaegan and Kiyah

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Gotcha Day in detail

Sorry for the delay in the post. We have been spending the day with our son. YAY!!

Yesterday morning Marty and I woke up again at 3:00am. We have learned that it does not matter what time we go to sleep we are still going to wake up at 3:00am. Having woke up so early you can imagine the anxiety and anticipation that we had. When the breakfast buffet opened we of course went to eat. I did not eat too much because of my nerves. I did not want anything to disrupt the moments ahead.

We were scheduled to leave at 2:15 from the hotel. It has been a two year process and this day was finally here. However, those last few hours seemed like an eternity. Finally, 2:00 rolled around and we loaded up Kaegans back pack, grabbed a sippy cup full of juice and headed to the lobby. Emma was there waiting. We grabbed a taxi and drove to the Civil Affairs office.

The room was simple and a little bare. Marty, Emma and I were the only ones in the room. We of course arrived early so we had to wait. It also snowed last night so it took Kaegan a little longer to travel into town.

While waiting another couple arrived who were also adopting a boy from the same orphanage. Their names are Jimmy and Stephanie Pirkle. They are naming their son Maddox. We were all four talking and getting to know one another when the door to the room opened. A lady walked in and had two little boys follow behind. I noticed Kaegan right away. Emma looked at me and said that is your boy. I fell down to his level and began talking to him. It was an amazing moment that I will never forget. Marty and I are the luckiest people in the world to have been blessed with this precious gift.

As you can see in the previous video he was quite scared. Thankfully for me he did not cry. Atleast not verbally. Children in the orphanage are known to cry "silent tears". These are emotional tears that you cannot see. For Marty and I these tears have been the hardest part for us to deal with. Once we got back in the room and began to play with him his personality began to show. We were so excited to hear him laugh and see him smile. We were not expecting either one until the third day so to recieve that on day one was incredible.

Oh Yeah! He went potty!!! He is potty trained. All we did was take him to the toilet and sat him on it and he took care of business. This is very good for us considering we have no idea to ask him if needs to potty. Sign language/motions have come in handy.

It was now time for a bath. Well, the tears came out immediately. He did not like taking off his shirt for his bath. We preformed teamwork and had a quick successful bath. Marty grabbed him to dry him off and just held him until the tears stopped. We then dressed him and all was well.

It was great to finish out the night with our family and friends on the computer. Thanks to yahoo messenger they have been able to see us everyday. Each one got to witness us placing him down for his first nights rest. He did sleep the whole night thru. Marty placed him between us and we just stared at him both in tears praising God and thanking him for this precious gift.

We ended the evening in a family prayer and finally the song we have been waiting play. "Safe and Sound" by Matthew West. I posted it on the blog as well. We would love for you to listen to it.

We are so blessed to have each one of you in our lives. Words cannot express the joy that comes from your comments. We love and thank each one of you for being a part of this journey.



14 comments:

Christa said...

Tiff, words could not express how happy I am for the 3 of you! I have loved every minute of watching Kaegan on the webcam! He is such a cutie, I cannot wait to meet him! I feel so blessed to be a part of ya'lls life and to watch what God has done. He is awesome! Love you guys and cannot wait to see you!

Sharron said...

This is all so wonderful. It is too cool getting to see firsthand your first few moments with him.

I'm guessing it would be safe to say that he will be super spoiled:)
上帝保祐您

Becky said...

I have never seen yall soooooo HAPPY! What a gift from God Kaegan has been. Thank you again for sharing this wonderful journey. Bradley,Brennon and Broolynn have been following yall blog and as soon as they walk in the door from school they ask "have they updated yet" This blog has BLESSED so many people!! Thanks again

Love yall
Bockhaus Family

Life as Connor and Colby's Mom said...

Okay...that smile is GREAT!!!! I just love to see him smile. I am so happy for you and Marty. Connor can't wait to play with his new friend Kaegan. We love you guys!!!

NaTaShA said...

What a beautiful child!!! He's gonna make Lainee look good walking down the isle with her pearls!!! Are u home yet?????????????

Anonymous said...

Hello Marty, Tiffany and Kaegan,
Just watched and read your story. All I can say is that I am in total awe of everything you have done and been through. You are an inspiration! When you get home Kaegan will have a playmate by the name of Copeland. They can hunt Easter Eggs together this year. Just think, some day they will probably be playing high school baseball against each other.
Can't wait to meet your son!!! David and I fly home Thursday and will be home 2-weeks until we head up to Maryland for his next job.
Have a safe trip home. Love, Lisa

Martha said...

That is such a great picture of you and Kaegan with him smiling!

Scott and Kathy said...

Scott, West, and I have been following your journey. We are so excited for the both of you and we are praying for your first few days with Kaegan. He is handsome and such a gift from God. Congratulations on your new addition to the Kent family. We look forward to meeting him.

Love,
Kathy

Kristi said...

Kaegan is a LUCKY Little Man!! May God bless you and your beautiful family.

Tammy Jones said...

Tiffany and Marty,
We are following your journey every step of the way with tears of joy. Your family is so blessed. Isn't our Father good!!!!!
Can't wait to meet keagan in person.
Love-
Tammy Jones

Anonymous said...

We are getting a mighty fine liol Haughton buccaneer and neighbor. As soon as you get settled with your new family........I want to come and see... Love you ( all 3)
I pray God's richest blessings follow and lead you. Myra Watson

Anonymous said...

that was lil' buccaneer Myra

Rene Tate said...

You probably don't know me. I'm Laura Tate's mom and I go to church with your parents.
I saw the web address in the prayer room and went home to look it up.
I was so touched by the pictures and the video made me cry.
I'm so happy for you.
Parenting was the hardest thing I ever did and yet the most rewarding.
You'll be great parents!
Enjoy the journey!

canscrap4u2 said...

Ok tiffiny, you have no clue who I am, but I'm a friend of Kristy's and I go to Eastwood, and I've been following your blog and adoption process. I have to comment on this post though, and try not to giggle about your bath experience, because we had a smiliar issue w/our daughter the night we brought her home with us. (She was adopted at 6 weeks). We bathed her in the kitchen sink, neither of us knew what to do, she was so stinkin' slippery, and was screaming her head off...she had no clue who we were...anyway, we ended up holding her up over the sink and Carl sprayed her off w/the kitchen sink sprayer. she only screamed louder, but we just wanted to soap off so we could hold her. At the time, we thought we were doomed as parents, but she turned out ok...she's 10 now and still hates baths and showers! Keep the faith
Kelly Wingo